A horse reel is a spindle kind of thing, which uses a wheel to store the hose by winding the hose on the wheel manually or by retraction. It helps in storing them properly and not tangled or punctured during winding and unwinding. Hose reels come in different sizes, shapes, and styles along with the various names according to their use. However, it is important to know how to install a hose reel correctly. Although the design differs, the purpose remains the same, to keep the hose neat and to protect it from damage.
Categories Of Hose Reel And How To Install A Hose Reel
Even though all the horse reels do the same job, they fall into different categories based on their mode of operation.
Spring retractable hose reel
Spring retractable is the type of reel in which the hose is attached to a spring and is pulled out due to the tension applied onto the spring. Once the operation performed, the same tension in the spring rewinds the hose back into the reel automatically. You have to handle the mechanism carefully by holding the hose end; otherwise, it will go all the way to hose box and bang on the area. The uncontrolled retraction may damage the hose. How to install a retractable hose reel is easy to understand and discussed below.
Manual rewind hose works exactly as the name suggests. You have to rewind the hose manually, and this method is extremely cost effective. There is a handle attached to the drum/wheel and one turn produce one turn. This method is perfect for hose application where power is not available. However, how to install garden hose reel can be physically challenging and time-consuming especially in the case of heavier or longer hoses.
This type of hoses uses power to unwind and rewind hoses. They are using for all kinds of applications in which power is involved. How to put the hose on a reel with a power driven mechanism needs careful attention.
How To Install Retractable Hose Reel
The retractable hose reel is generally wall-mounted reels, which have a spring-loaded hose attached to it. It can be automatically retracted whenever you want. Most of the retractable reels will have a mechanism which makes it possible to stop it anywhere. It helps in securing the hose at any length and keeps it away from kinking. It is a great technique to store your hose and save time, space and effort.
Steps on how to install retractable hose reel
- Rather than mounting the hose reel directly to studs, you can use a separate mounting plate.
- Attach the reel as per the manufacturer’s direction as it varies with different models. Also keep in mind that some of the models are hard mounted which means they are difficult to adjust as per your requirement.
- If you are connecting garden hoses, screw the female end to the connector present on the reel. Air hoses also need to be linked in the same way. Other hose types might require connecting to special clamps.
- Finally, install hose stops so that the few inches of the hose end remain outside that is necessary for easy unwinding.
How To Install Wall Mounted Hose Reel
Wall mounted are the ones, which are using to save more space as it mounted in walls.
Steps on how to attach hose reel
- Measure the length of the hose connected to the reel.
- As the connector on the hose to be thread connected at the end, the hose should fix close to the faucet.
- Take the measure from the faucet to the place where you want to install the reel.
- Choose a drill bit and drill accordingly to get the pilot holes.
- Place clear silicone onto these holes to seal out moisture.
- Now set the reel to the hose bib and fasten the hose to the reel connector.
How To Install Air Hose Reel
Air hose reels use coil and wind mechanism, and they are available as stationary or portable cart models. They are generally found using in garages, service stations, gas stations and repair centers. Air hoses can also be wall mounted can also be installed in your home workshop or an automobile center. Installing an air hose reel is an easy DIY project if you have necessary materials.
Steps on how to install retractable hose reel
- Measure the suitable length to span the rafters and trace the holes starting from hose reel.
- Drill mounting holes.
- Predrill a few holes at the back side of the plank for the mounting bolts.
- Finally, mount the hose reel onto the planks with the nuts and bolts fronting down.
- Assemble the hose fittings and tubing from the reel up to the ceiling.
- Then mount the air regulator on the wall and connect the fittings.
- Connect the whole assembly with the air compressor via a snubber hose.
How To Adjust The Tension Of An Auto Rewind Hose Reel?
Auto rewind hose reel retracts automatically because of the preloaded spring tension provided at the time of manufacturing the system. Continuous usage may un-tension the spring or become too much rigid, and you find it is hard to operate. It could happen due to tear and wear of the parts or by using un-recommended hose size.
Steps on how to adjust the tension of an auto rewind hose reel.
- Check the owner’s manual and understand the factory setting on the spring existing.
- Check the turning of the spring and confirm it meets the required feature.
- Check whether the hose falls under the recommended size and quality.
- Open the hub plate.
- Adjust the tension by turning the hub nut clockwise it to meet the factory preset marks.
- Put the hub plate and tight it.
- Test the tension of hose reel by pulling it little and allow it to retract.
- If the tension has not met to the required level, then repeat the process again until you can get the right tension.
How To Install A Hose Reel Cart?
Hose reel carts are mobile and hence it is easy for watering on outdoor garden or yard. Hose reel carts are available in various assortments of style, design, size and models. Carts are available in two and four-wheel and come with puller handle. While purchasing a hose reel cart, make sure to have it supported with retraction feature, large spooling wheel for winding the hose, manual operation crank and has pneumatic tires with an excellent swivel feature. You can need to have a clear understanding of the length of hose, so that you can plan your purchase as per the requirement. Hose reel carts are available in a knock down format and in fully assembled style.
Steps on how to install a hose reel cart
- Read the owner’s manual and get ready for the installation.
- If the hose reel cart comes in knockdown form, read carefully through the assembling instructions.
- Check the functions of the retraction.
- Place the hose reel cart near to the water spigot kept for outdoor watering.
- Connect the hose reel to the water spigot.
- Tighten the leader hose by turning clockwise to the spigot.
- Release the water spigot valve.
- Pull out the hose reel for watering.
- After finishing, retract it manually by using the crank handle or press the retraction button if it is an automatic retraction hose reel cart.
- After watering, take the cart to the different location for further watering
How to install a hose reel is easy and what you have to follow the instructions given in the manufacturer’s manual. Different manufacturers might have different techniques for the installation, but you need to have some basic idea to do it perfectly. We have discussed the different mechanism of hose reel installations, and this will give you a good understanding while dealing with various type of hose reel.